Place and date of birth
§ PhD bursary holder - Mechanical Systems Engineering
University of Naples “Federico II” - Via Claudio 21, 20125, Napoli
Department of Industrial Engineering (D.I.I.) - Mechanics and Energetics
Research activity is performed in the field of Automotive Engineering, dealing with the development of tyre physical models and the study of materials properties applied in the field of contact mechanics.
Vehicle Dynamics specialist, with particular interest in tyre-road interaction mechanics; other branches of research concern with developing of thermo-sensitive physical grip models, innovative magneto-rheological fluid suspension systems and NVH phenomena in gearboxes.
Continuative collaboration experiences with Bridgestone Technical Center Europe carrying out research activities concerning with adhesive and hysteretic components of friction, visco-elastic characterization of SBR copolymers and contact mechanics in dry/wet conditions.
Ferrari S.p.A. - Via Abetone Inf.re 4, 41053, Maranello (MO)
Gestione Industriale - Direzione Tecnica Sperimentazione Veicolo
Development of experimental procedures in Tyre characterization field - Track Data analysis and Processing.
Development of Vehicle Dynamics Models - Handling Performances Evaluation.
High Performance Vehicles - Tyre friction and thermodynamics improvement strategies.
FERRARI GT Virtual Drive Simulator: Implementation of complex Tyre models - Human/Machine Interface Integration.
Tyre/Road Interaction: Contact Analysis through Optical Techniques and Viscoelastic Analyses of Tyre Compounds.
Development of automated Graphic User Interfaces.
§ Tyre Modeler
Ferrari S.p.A. - Via Abetone Inf.re 4, 41053, Maranello (MO)
Tyre and Ride Models.
Telemetry analysis and processing.
Tyre/Road interaction investigation - test benches and experiments design.
§ Admission to the PhD school with full marks (30/3/2011);
§ MASTER OF SCIENCE DEGREE with full marks and laude in Mechanical Engineering for Design and Production, at the University of Naples “Federico II”. Degree thesis, developed in collaboration with Ferrari S.p.A., GES Racing Department: “A Physical-Analytical Model estimating the Grip of Race Tires” (13/07/2010); the thesis is centered on the physical behavior of elastomeric materials and rough surfaces in a wide range of conditions;
§ BACHELOR DEGREE in Mechanical Engineering, Energetics curriculum, at the University of Naples “Federico II”. Degree thesis: “Limits and future prospects of the Wankel Engine” (20/12/2006);
§ High School Diploma with full marks at the Scientific Lyceum of Naples “Elio Vittorini” (July 2003).
§ Filippo Manna Foundation degree prize winner (November 2011) - Degree Prize established by Filippo Manna Foundation (http://www.fondazionemanna.it) for graduation thesis developed in the field of Materials Mechanics;
§ Licensed Industrial Engineer
Ordine degli Ingegneri di Napoli, License Number 19755;
§ Teaching and orientation assistantship winner - University of Naples (July 2011);
§ Winner of the school project “Mathematics Olympic Games” for two consecutive editions (2002/2003) and consequent participation to national selections;
§ Winner of ADISU scholarship for three consecutive years (2004/2006).
· ITALIAN: mother tongue;
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - ESOL Examinations - LEVEL C1
University of Cambridge - 2012
- First Certificate in English (FCE)
University of Cambridge - 2003
- Preliminary English Test (PET)
University of Cambrige - 2001
- English Course at the British Council of Naples (September 2000 – July 2003);
· SPANISH: basic level.
PUBLICATIONS (updated to September, 28th):
1. Farroni F., Russo M., Russo R., Timpone F. - A PHYSICAL ANALYTICAL MODEL FOR LOCAL GRIP ESTIMATION OF TYRE RUBBER IN SLIDING CONTACT WITH ROAD ASPERITIES - paper submitted to “Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering" - actually under review.
2. Farroni F., Giordano D., Russo M., Timpone F. - TRT: Thermo Racing Tyre - a physical model to predict the tyre temperature distribution - “Meccanica" - DOI: 10.1007/s11012-013-9821-9
3. Farroni F., Russo M., Russo R., Timpone F. - A FRICTION PHYSICAL MODEL FOR THE ESTIMATION OF HYSTERETIC DISSIPATIONS ARISING AT THE CONTACT BETWEEN RIGID INDENTERS AND VISCO-ELASTIC MATERIALS - presented at WTC 2013 - 5TH World Tribology Congress.
4. Farroni F., Russo M., Russo R., Terzo M. and Timpone F. - A COMBINED USE OF PHASE PLANE AND HANDLING DIAGRAM METHOD TO STUDY THE INFLUENCE OF TYRE AND VEHICLE CHARACTERISTICS ON STABILITY - "Vehicle System Dynamics" - , DOI: 10.1080/00423114.2013.797590.
5. Farroni F., Russo R., Timpone F. - Theoretical and Experimental Estimation of the Hysteretic Component of Friction for a Visco-Elastic Material Sliding on a Rigid Rough Surface - International Review on Modelling and Simulations (I.RE.MO.S), Vol. 6, n. 3, 2013.
6. Farroni F., Russo M., Russo R., Timpone F. - Tire-road interaction: experimental investigations about the friction coefficient dependence on contact pressure, road roughness, slide velocity and temperature - presented at ASME 2012 - 11TH biennal conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, Volume 4, pag. 521 - ISBN No: 978-0-7918-4487-8.
7. Brancati R., Farroni F., Rocca E., Savino S. - EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF GEAR RATTLE BY MEANS OF A WAVELET-BASED SIGNAL PROCESSING PROCEDURE - presented at ASME 2012 - 11TH biennal conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, Volume 4, pag. 333 - ISBN No: 978-0-7918-4487-8.
8. Brancati R., Farroni F., Rocca E., Savino S. - DETECTION OF GEAR RATTLE BY MEANS OF A WAVELET-BASED SIGNAL PROCESSING PROCEDURE - Meccanica, Volume 48, Number 1, 2013 - ISSN No: 0025-6455.
9. Farroni F., Rocca E., Timpone F. - A Full Scale Test Rig to Characterize Pneumatic Tyre Mechanical Behaviour - International Review of Mechanical Engineering (I.RE.M.E.), Vol. 7, n. 5, 2013.
10. Farroni F., Giordano D., Russo M., Terzo M., Timpone F. - ON THE INFLUENCE OF ANTI-ROLL STIFFNESS ON VEHICLE STABILITY AND PROPOSAL OF AN INNOVATIVE SEMI-ACTIVE MAGNETORHEOLOGICAL FLUID ANTI-ROLL BAR - presented at RAAD 2012 - 21TH International Workshop on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region - ISBN No: 978-88-95430-45-4.
11. Farroni F., Russo M., Russo R., Terzo M. and Timpone F. - INFLUENCE OF TYRE AND VEHICLE CONSTRUCTIVE CHARACTERISTICS ON LINEAR STABILITY OF A FOUR WHEEL VEHICLE MODEL - presented at VSDIA 2012 - 13TH MINI Conference on vehicle system dynamics, identification and anomalies.
12. Farroni F., Rocca E., Russo R., Savino S. and Timpone F. - EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS ABOUT ADHESION COMPONENT OF FRICTION COEFFICIENT DEPENDENCE ON ROAD ROUGHNESS, CONTACT PRESSURE, SLIDE VELOCITY AND DRY/WET CONDITIONS - presented at VSDIA 2012 - 13TH MINI Conference on vehicle system dynamics, identification and anomalies.
13. Calabrese F., Farroni F., Timpone F. - A Flexible Ring Tyre Model for Normal Interaction - International Review on Modelling and Simulations (I.RE.MO.S), Vol. 6, n. 4, 2013.
14. Farroni F., Russo R., Timpone F. - UTRB-1270 - TYRE - ROAD INTERACTION: EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS ABOUT THE FRICTION COEFFICIENT DEPENDENCE ON CONTACT FORCE, ROAD ROUGHNESS, SLIDE VELOCITY AND RUBBER VISCO-ELASTIC CHARACTERISTICS - paper submitted to “Tribology Transactions" - actually under review.
15. Farroni F., Timpone F. - A Test Rig for Tyre Envelope Model Characterization - paper submitted to "International Review of Mechanical Engineering (I.RE.M.E.)" - actually under review.